Echoes

[12.22.99] » by Loa

A long time had passed since he had dropped Aeris into the clear depths of the lake. The pain was still sharp though. As much as I wished he could forget about all that had happened, since that moment she had handed him that flower in the slums, he would not exchange the memories of those weeks for anything in the world. She had changed all she had come in contact with. She had always known when something was wrong. How could he ever love another? Yet, after all was said and done, Aeris was gone, and Tifa remained. Perhaps it was better this way? He wasn't sure anymore.

Cloud now lived in Kalm. For the time being, he was helping the members of the community rebuild. Midgar was still somewhat intact, and the city was being dismantled and slowly rebuilt. It would take years though, until it would be livable. The teams were working hard, yet no amount of effort could erase the memories of all that had happened. Memories that were etched deeply into the hearts of every living being on the Planet. A month had passed since the death of Sephiroth. It was strange… Cloud felt like it was a lifetime away. Tifa lived in Kalm as well, so did Barret and Marlene. Aeris' mother had gone away to Junon, Yuffie had returned home to Wutai, Vincent had left without explanation, Cid had returned to Rocket Town to rebuild a new spacecraft, and Reeve and Cait Sith were in Costa Del Sol. And so, Cloud was left to pick up the pieces of his life, and try to move on.

One day, Cloud was sitting outside. It was around 5 o' clock, and the sun was setting slowly over the ocean. It had been a long day. The teams in Midgar had just reached a section of the Slums that had received a lot of damage. Cloud had went out to go supervise. He had worked since 5 that morning. He slowly sipped some water, and looked out over the sleepy village of Kalm. It was indeed beautiful. People take for granted the little things… Like peace and quiet, until they are faced with a difficult situation that steals all the security in your life away. He was slowly nodding off to sleep, when all of a sudden…

"Cloud…"

Cloud, startled, looked up and around, no one was there… He thought he was just tired, closed his eyes once more.

"Cloud…"

This time he knew he wasn't just imagining things. This voice was in his ear, as if someone had whispered into it… Yet the voice was distant, and tired. It rose and fell. It sounded like the person needed help. Cloud stood up… He knew where he had to go.

He could not resist the urge. He started walking, slowly at first, then faster and faster. The voice kept calling. He had to follow.

Why…? He asked as he found one of the intact gated on Midgar… Why am I going? He couldn't answer his own question. The voice, it was closer now… Now he was feeling something. A presence? Something distinct was in the air. It was like… When you remember a smell so well that you can imagine it and smell it without being there. Although, this was much stronger than any mere smell. This was there. This could not be denied. He had to go.

Cloud pushed a few limp blonde locks from his eyes and looked up a the structure before him. The church. Somehow it had survived. He could hear the voice now. Distinctly. He pushed the doors open, and saw…

Nothing…

The flowers Aeris had planted still sat in their place still bloomed. They were more beautiful than ever. They were painted rich colors, and an intoxicating aroma picked up off of them.

Why was he here though? Why had he come to this place? A place that haunted him. A place that was so clouded with memories of someone he would never be able to see again… The voice… It echoed.

"Cloud…" the voice whispered softly in his ear.

"What?? What do you want? Who are you?" he shouted at the rafters. He shook his head glumly. He must be going insane…

"Cloud, I'm here… I'm here…"

Cloud… He knew that voice… "Aeris??" he shouted again.

"Close your eyes… I'm here… I'm here for you."

Cloud looked around bewildered. This echoing voice now boomed in his head. He had to listen… Could it really lead to Aeris? He closed his mako green eyes slowly, and let himself slip away…

"Open your eyes, Cloud…" a gentle voice spoke. It was haunting, and beautiful.

Cloud opened them, slowly surely, and who's eyes did they meet?

"Aeris…" he breathed.

There she was, whole and intact. Alive? No, it was impossible. She couldn't be? He reached out, hesitantly.

"Yes, I'm here." Aeris said, touching his hand gently, taking it in hers.

"You can't… I saw… Sephiroth. I put you in the lake…" he muttered, dumbfoundedly.

"Cloud… I am dead… But, my spirit… I made them let me come back one more time… I had to say good-bye to you." Aeris said, softly.

"What?"

"Cloud, I cannot stay long…" Aeris said. "I have to go… I have to go back to the Planet… They're waiting for me."

"Who? No, Aeris, you can't leave me." He said, angrily. "It was my fault you died! Let me at least join you!"

"No, Cloud." Aeris said, gently, placing her large green eyes on his own. "No, this is a journey I have to make alone. I wanted to come back, so I could also tell you something."

"What?" Cloud said, losing himself in her peaceful eyes.

"Everyone has a destiny… Mine was to die when I did… I knew that, Cloud. I'm sorry, that I had to hurt you like I did. I know I want to be with you… But I can't. I need you though, to be happy now, in life. Go to Tifa. She loves you with all her heart… Cloud, don't let life kill you. You're strong." She ran a hand down his face. A tear dripped down her own.

"I don't want to have to say good-bye to you again." He said softly.

"You don't have to…" Aeris said. "I'm here." She looked around the old church. I may be far away… With the Planet, but my spirit will be here for you… And one day, we will see each other again."

"Aeris…" Cloud said, drawing her close.

He held her for a moment, then covered he mouth with a short kiss.

Aeris drew back, a smile on her face… "It's time for me to go…" she said.

"I know." Cloud smiled sadly.

"Remember…" Aeris whispered, as she stepped back, back towards her flowers… "I'm with you… I'm always here…" she said,

"I love you Aeris." Cloud whispered.

"I know." She replied… Then she closed her eyes… The wind was coming now… "I love you too."

And then, the breeze came in, from nowhere, and the sweet fragrance of the flowers spread across the empty church, and Cloud closed his eyes… And felt a tear roll down his cheek.

"Goodbye…" the voice whispered…

Sometime later, Cloud awoke. The church was still and quiet, he was enveloped in a blanket of flowers, their sweet fragrance wrapped around him, and he sighed happily. He opened his eyes, and looked around. He was alone. He got up and shook himself off. He thought about… Aeris. Had it all been a dream? No, it had been too real… He picked up one of the flowers, looked at it carefully. He thought back to what Aeris had said…

He would take it home to Tifa…

As he left the church, with it's flowers and old floorboards, he could hear the wind…

Or were they love's echoes? Loa's page

 
Others by this author
Others about this game