Best Friends

[09.23.99] » by Janus of Zeal

It's warm in here... warm and comfortable.. wish I could move though...

Looking out of the tube, he could see rows upon rows of books. And scientific equipment and other things.

How did I get into this... I never should have left Nibelheim... It's not like THIS is going to make Tifa like me...

He began to drift around, as the current of the Mako carried him. On his right, he saw a familiar face.

Zack... he got caught trying to save me... I shouldn't have got him into this...

Peering out of the tube, Cloud noticed movement.

What's that?

"Hey, this is your food."

Great... more of that sludge... but at least it keeps us alive...

The grubby little man who brought the food everyday sat his tray down on the table, just like he did everyday. Cloud watched him as he opened the tube next to him.

Just like everyday... how long have I been in here anyway? It doesn't matter. Next he will give Zack his food. Then me... Then he'll leave, just like everyday...

Except today was different. Before he knew what was going on, Cloud realized that Zack was out of his tube, and that the food man was knocked out cold.

I knew one day he would be free... I hope he does well... I'm not going to see him ever again...

Cloud closed his eyes, preparing to spend the rest of his days alone in a Mako tube. Sensing something, he opened them, and there in front of him was Zack. Nodding once, he set to work opening Cloud's tube.

It's been so long... What's it like to be outside of this tube?

Then he was on the floor, lying in a puddle of Mako.

Zack! He's going to take me along... Thank you Zack, I...

"Uhhhh...."

I can't talk... why can't I talk...

He tried to stand up, but couldn't.

Zack! Help me...

Zack...?

He felt himself being lifted off the floor, and dragged out.

He's taking me with him... I'm free.. WE'RE free...

As Zack dragged him through the town, Cloud suddenly realized where he was..

I'm in Nibelheim... but.. Nibelheim burned down... I SAW it... what the hell is going on?

They passed people on their way out of town, but none of them offered any help, nor did they even seem to realize what was going on. Zack didn't say anything to them.

He probably doesn't trust them either...

With a final look, they left Nibelheim.

They went on for days, camping on the plains at night, finally taking refuge in a cave near Cosmo Canyon. They were lucky, the monsters gave them a wide berth. Cloud slept well, knowing that everything was going to be okay. Knowing that he was safe as long as Zack was around...

*****

When Cloud awoke, he realized that they weren't in the cave anymore, and that they were moving. Looking around, he realizes that he's in the back of a truck. How long have I been out?

"Oh, here!!" Zack was behind him, doing something.

"Uhhhh...?" was all he could manage.

"It smells a little, but don't complain," Zack explained as he helped Cloud into new clothes.

Wow... these are comfortable...

He looked down at himself. He was wearing the clothes of someone in SOLDIER.

It must be good to be in SOLDIER... get such comfortable uniforms...

"You look pretty good with that." Zack knelt down in front of Cloud. "Well..."

Zack got up and moved to the truck cab. Banging on it he asked, "Yo! Old guy! We at Midgar yet?"

"Shaddap! You're lucky I even gave you a ride!" he yelled back.

I'm grateful... Thank you sir.

Zack went back to where Cloud was and knelt down. "What're you gonna do when we get to Midgar?" he asked.

I don't know... I have no family... no friends other than you...

"mmm.. ahhh?" was all that Cloud could manage.

"I know what I'm gonna do." Zack began as he stood up.

I knew you would... you always have a plan.. that's what I like about you...

"I got a place I can crash for a while," he continued. "No wait, the mother lives there too. Guess that's out."

Ha ha... Zack Zack Zack... ha ha

Once again, all Cloud could manage was an incoherent mumble.

"Yep, gotta change my plans! Hmm...."

You'll come up with something...

"No matter what I do, I need some money first," he thought out loud.

Suddenly, Zack's eyes lit up with an idea. "... Hey, wanna start a business? Now what could we do? hmm... Hey, Cloud."

Cloud swivelled a little bit, trying to get Zack in his field of vision. Yeah?

"Think there's anything I'd be good at?" Zack asked.

You'd be good at anything you attempted. Come on now, you know that...

"Hey old guy! What do you think I'd be good at?" he called up to the driver.

"What're you yappin' about? You're still young, ain't ya?" the driver yelled back. "Young folks should try everything! You gotta pay your dues when your young. Go out and look for what you really want."

Zack turned back to Cloud. "Try everything... That's easy for him to say."

Zack began to pace back and forth, doing some stretches, getting ready for carrying Cloud again later.

I'm really sorry that I'm such a hassle... Why can't I walk, or talk? Things would be easier for him if I could...

"HEY!" Zack yelled, breaking Cloud away from his thoughts. "Of course! I got more brains and skill than most other guys..."

That's true... more than me at any rate.

"That settles it. I'm gonna become a mercenary!"

You'd be a great mercenary! I know you would be.

"Yeah! Thanks Pops!" Zack called up.

"Hey.. didn't you even hear a word I said?" the driver called back.

"Listen, I'm gonna be a mercenary and that's that. Boring stuff, dangerous stuff, anything for money. I'm gonna be rich!"

"No, wait... you got it all wrong!" the driver calls back, shaking his head.

Zack ignored him and came to look at Cloud. "So, Cloud? What are YOU gonna do?"

Zack? No.. I .. I can't do anything.. Zack.. don't leave me.. I need your help...

"U...uhhh..." Cloud groaned.

"Just kidding. I won't leave you hanging like that," he smiled down at Cloud.

Kneeling beside him, Zack put a hand on Cloud's shoulder. "We're friends, right?"

Yeah Zack... Best friends...

Zack looked around to make sure the old guy isn't looking, then gave Cloud a quick hug. "Mercenaries, Cloud. That's what you an' me are gonna be. Understand, Cloud?" he asks, standing up to survey the horizon.

Yeah Zack... we'll be the best mercenaries Midgar ever saw... Thank you...

*****

Well, as Cloud found out from Zack, he'd been out of it for more than a week after crashing in the cave in Cosmo Canyon. He was just really tired and needed the rest. Now they were very close to Midgar.

A few hours later, the man told them that Midgar was just over the hill and pointed them on their way.

Before he drove off, he called Zack back. "You must care a lot for your friend there, to be carrying him all this way. It's good to see. Take care of yourselves."

Zack nodded, and the man drove off. Little did the man know that Zack was almost at the end of his time.

Zack and Cloud headed up the hill. As they got closer to the top, Zack laid Cloud down for a moment. "I think I heard something..."

Just then, there was gunfire from behind them.

"Stay here Cloud, I'll take care of this."

Be careful Zack... please...

Zack ran towards the sound. Cloud heard more gunfire, and the sound of metal hitting metal. Suddenly, Zack was standing over him. "Be safe Cloud."

What's that suposed to mean? You're not going to leave me.. You'll always be there for me...

There was gunfire again. Zack grunted and went flying through the air.

NOOOOOO!

From his vantage point, Cloud could see Zack lying in the grass a few feet up the hill. He wasn't moving.

No... you BASTARDS!

He saw three men from the Shin-Ra army walk past him and go to Zack. One of them was holding a gun. He pointed it at Zack's chest, and fired a couple of rounds into him. Zack's body convulsed a bit. The soldier did it again.

You've already killed him! Cloud thought, tears welling up in his eyes. Leave him alone! He tried to stand, tried to crawl, tried to call out, but nothing worked.

The Shin-Ra soldier kicked Zack once, and then walked back to where Cloud was lying.

"What do you want to do with him?" he asked his commander. Cloud just moaned.

"Forget it. Just leave him." the commander replied, and they walked back down the hill.

Cloud laid there for a few minutes, not believing that what happened could be true. He bagan to cry a little, then realized that he could move again. Starting out slow, he bgan to crawl up the hill to where Zack lay. As he got closer, he could see the horrible wounds on his chest from the brutal gunfire. When he reached Zack, he reached up and checked for a pulse, already knowing what he would find.

Cloud continued to cry over the loss of his best friend for a few more minutes. Finally, he tried to stand up again, and realized he could. "Why couldn't this have happened earlier? Than I could have helped Zack.. Maybe saved his life..." Cloud muttered to himself.

He noticed Zack's sword, the Buster Sword, a massive piece of equipment laying at his side. "I'll need a weapon... and you don't need it where you've gone..." he whispered to Zack as he bent down to pick it up.

When he stood, he got a pain in his head.

Cloud dropped the sword and held his head, groaning form the pain, crying from the grief of losing a friend.

As quickly as it came, the pain passed. Looking down at the body infront if him, Cloud couldn't remember who this was, just that it was someone important to him.

"You remind me of someone I once knew..." he said to the corpse.

"My best friend... and because of that.... I WILL avenge your death."

A light rain began to fall, washing the blood off of Cloud's hands, and off of the corpse. Cloud set to digging a grave for this person he didn't know.

In the distance, the Shin-Ra Tower gleamed menacingly.

<END>



 
Others by this author
Others about this game