A Trip To The Lake

[09.19.99] » by Bubbawheat


Author's Note: This is a short story about Breath of Fire 3. In it, Ryu teaches Nina how to fish. It's short and sweet, and very descriptive.

    "Okay, Nina, first you have to get a feel for the pole."
    Ryu was standing behind Nina, holding her hands in his own. They were standing before a shimmering lake, the sunlight glistening off the small waves drifting along the surface. Occasionaly, it would be disturbed by a fish freeing itself from the water for a brief moment, only to crash back into the etheral, translucent world, sending ripples expanding outward. Nina was holding onto a small, bamboo pole, with a string running along the length of it and off of the tip, a hook attached to the end of the string, and a small worm, wriggling helplessly on the hook.
    "Like this?" Nina asked, her fairylike wings shining. The bright blue and pink catching the sun, making them seem almost translucent as the wind made them wave back and forth rhythmically.
    "Yeah, you've got it, now bring the pole back slowly. . . and swing it forward." Ryu said as he guided Nina's movements. His blue hair flowing in the wind. The fresh scent of the lake reaching his nose as he took a deep breath while he watched the lure sail along the sky, until it made a small splash a good distance away. "You're a natural, that was a great cast."
    "Thank you." Nina's cheeks colored slightly. "Now what do I do?"
    "Now, you reel it in slowly, and give the pole a quick jerk to make the fish think the worm is lively. Just get into a good rhythm. Yeah, that's good, You've got it!" Nina giggled as Ryu squeezed her in a tight embrace. He then took a seat in the soft grass and beckoned Nina to do the same.
    "This is fun, I see why you like it so much." Nina said as she carefully sat down and leaned back into Ryu's awaiting arms. Her wings teasingly tickling Ryu's nose.
    They stayed like that for hours. Taking turns casting the pole. Never once did either one of them catch a fish, but they didn't notice. Most of the time, they would even forget to replace the bait after a fish had gotten it off of the hook. But they stayed like that until sunset, watching the sky light up into colors even brighter than Nina's wings.



 
Others by this author
Others about this game