Cactuar

[12.12.01] » by Ashbear

All the characters of final fantasy belong to Square, not me.  This is a look at character often overlooked, and under appreciated.

 

 

 

The arid heat is overwhelming; again, I find a crossroad in my vile life.  The dessert sand grows heavy under my feet, each step feeling, as it shall be my last.  My mouth is dry, and body screams in anguish. I wish to do nothing but fall onto the sand, letting my pathetic corpse decompose into nothingness. To long has it been since my existence has had significance, had meaning. I look to the horizon as hues of crimson and ginger dance eloquently along the never-ending sands.  Closing my eyes for just a moment of solitude, I swallow hard, knowing the undertaking I must face, yet again. 

 

For I am immortal, a fate not wished upon anyone.  I have watched great civilizations rise and fall; I have been alive from almost the beginning sands of time.  I feel little emotion any more; centuries of hatred and despair have eroded the very soul I once possessed.  I am now but a servant of man, humans are both powerful and weak. They are the paradox of existence among life. I have aided great warriors in their human form, such as Odin and Gilgamesh. I have been there in their times of need; however nobody aided me in mine. For that is the life of a guardian force, that is our wretched fate.

 

I was not always bitter.   I had a chance at happiness. Like everything else in my atrocious life, it was stolen from me.  I had a wife and two children, only to watch them suffer as collateral damage during the Centra war.  The land I protect is sacred; it is holy.  This is where my children have been buried, and where my wife rests her eternal soul.  I cradled my daughter as she clung to life, only to watch it slip away with in my own hands.  I could not help then, Hyne had not granted me the power, yet.  I buried them with my own hands, my own will.

 

My son, my daughter, and my loving wife… eternally lay together within another peaceful realm.   Not a day, not a moment goes by when they are not in my heart, in my thoughts.  I continue to be strong for nothing more then their honor.  Honor is the only thing that binds all guardian forces. It is the burden upon us all.

 

Therefore, I chose the only fate I know, sub servitude of man.  In a so-called fairy-tail life, I determined my path. I was granted the privilege, the title of guardian force.  Now, my only wish is to die… but alas, that can never be.  So I continue onward, in search of what, I do not know.  Maybe the same entity that granted me this supposed honor shall find it someday in their heart to lift this curse.  Thus, I too may also lie down upon the barren ground, turning to dust and fading from others memories.

 

I have not the power of Eden, or the strength of Ifrit.  I am but a simple being, not complex by any accounts.  Now, I hear of another group of warriors once again claiming the noble duty of saving the world.  It shall not be long before they arrive, it never is.  I, like in all centuries past, shall grant them my powers on their gallant quest.  The battle between us, just a formality.  I shall end up junctioning to them, and again the legends will continue to be spread through the lands.  My name shall not be with them, for it never is.  I am not among the greats, yet all still seek my abilities, my attributes.  I make them stronger, if only in their minds.  It is easy to fool a human; they want to believe so easily.  The are gullible and trusting, ironically that is also their strength.

 

As I cross another dune, I look toward the horizon once again.  Is it another mirage, or have they finally come?  I see a great ship with dragon-like talons over the bluff.  It is time. Once again, as fate looks down laughing at me. I will join in the eternal dance.  I shall bring honor to my family; I shall honor the name of guardian force, for I am Cactuar.

 

 

 

I dedicated this story to my three-year-old daughter Ashley.  For without her I would have never stopped to think about the life of this particular Guardian Force.  He has managed to bring a smile to a little girls face with every appearance. Also thanks to the most wonderful person and writer in the world, she encouraged me to let people see my work.  Thank you… Nicole.



 
Others by this author
Others about this game