For Nobody Else

[10.17.01] » by Beowulf_VII

"My love, I'm here. I want to give you the news you fear. You died. It happened yesterday, while the sun was setting. You stopped moving.

"I wish I could have married you; I want you to know that. But, well, you know that I'm already wed to that...thing, Quina. I haven't even seen it in months, but it's still my legal spouse. I hate it. In my memories, it was you that I was standing next to on that dry boat. It was you who should have been standing next to me, but that's in the past.

"Aahh, yes. The past. The past...that which has made us what we are. And it is what we are that shapes what we will be, isn't it? Yes, of course it is. And I've chosen that now. You didn't want me to do it, but you're dead now, you know, so you won't have to see me.

"Dead. Heheh. How did that happen, anyways? We were cuddling with our new babies, and you just...stopped. I hate it when that happens. I really do hate that. Why does everyone have to die all the time? At least Zidane died trying to save his brother, and Blank died because he told a bad joke to the four-armed man. They died violently at least, their bodies were crushed or sliced until there was nothing left to function...to live. But you were comfortable, and your body is still good. It's Kuja's fault, for not building us to last very long. It's his fault, too, that my timer doesn't work, so I have to keep living while the people I care about keep dying.

"But Kuja's dead, too. Even he has been released from pain, while I have to sit here and mourn! I can't take it anymore! I'm really sorry, but I just can't, OK? I get so mad when I think about it. Even our children will probably die before I do! There's just too much anger in my heart now, I don't even think there's any room for love. The kids are growing so fast, you'd be proud of them, but I have to give them away. They will always know that ViVi was their father, and you their mother, but they will never really know either of us. You're dead, and I'm too mad, I think I might hurt them if I don't leave them. I don't want to do that.

"Damn this curse! Damn my life! Damn me!! I can't even be a father, what good am I? I just can't die! Not normally, not like you did last night. I'll have to die violently, that's the only way it's possible, I guess. Crush me, Iifa Tree! Cut me up, stranger! ViVi is ready for you! But don't think I'm going to make it easy on you, because I won't; I'm going to earn death, or I won't die at all. That's the only way it's possible.

"Wherever a tyrant conquers, I will be the one to dethrone him. Whenever a hero vanquishes, I will be the one to test him. If the world's strongest must save the world, I will be the one they are saving it from! Let them vanquish me, or I shall conquer them! It's death or nothing.

"And then, If I have conquered everything, and am still alive, I will remake the Iifa Tree, bigger than before, so that at least I won't have to watch others die. We will all live in misery together, for eternity.

"What? Do you see this? Do you see these things coming from my back? They're wings! Wings, of all things! They are black as my heart, and will carry me far. I am what you did not want me to be. I'm sorry. I have become a Black Waltz. No, wait. I am not sorry. Not at all. This is what I wanted all along. It feels good. The power, I can feel it, burning the soul I made for myself. I can feel the other two already. They are a brother and sister, I think, and they want to use this power to keep others from being hurt like they've been hurt. Well, not if I have anything to say about it!

"Follow me, you two! My partners in fate! Follow me to death. The people think they are safe. Ha! We will show them that safety is not a virtue!"

 
Others by this author
Others about this game