Dust in the WInd

[07.05.01] » by Iridal

A Songfic based off of Kansas

Alone in his room, Vincent Valentine sat in the perpetual gloom that he seemingly carried with him like a shroud, a slip of paper in his gloved hand. His bloodshot eyes pore over the small photograph, his gaze carefully tracing the contours of the face. He had long since memorized the beloved visage - the sad, sweet expression burned into his tortured soul. The gunman shut his eyes, seeing her in his mind even now.

I close my eyes
Only for a moment
And the moment's gone.

Years had passed since he had last seen her lovely face, since he held her in his arms, but to him, it was the briefest fraction of a moment - a mere blink of his crimson eyes. But the result was the same - whether a second or a century - he would never see her again in this lifetime.

All my dreams
Pass before my eyes
In curiosity.

Even in his sleep, she haunted his darkest nightmares. Every night - when he chose to rest, that is - events of their past came back to him. Visions of stolen moments of time drift back to him, when they would roam the Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim hand-in-hand like the young couple in love that they were...moments when she loved a tall, silent Turk and before he failed beautiful, gentle woman.

Dust in the wind.
All we are is
Dust in the wind.

Before Hojo stepped in to ruin his life - both of their lives.

Same old song
Just a drop of water
In an endless sea.

Not a day passed when Vincent didn't regret for letting Hojo take her away from him; for letting the beetle-browed intellectual tempt her away with promises of fame and contributions to the almighty power of 'science'. The lure of being the mother of Hojo's grand experiment - of being Hojo's equal in more ways than one - was just too great for his beloved. He got something to perform his experiments on to make the perfect human; she died in childbirth, never knowing her child or even holding the tiny babe in her arms before expiring.

All we do
Crumbles to the ground
Though we refuse to see.

Vincent remembered the intense anger that he had felt when Hojo stole his dearest angel. He had attacked his rival, only to awaken lying on his lab table as his newest 'pet project'. Subjected to the ultimate humiliation, the Turk was slowly shaped into something he could only despise.

Dust in the wind
All we are is
Dust in the wind.

Now, he was a demon to match the sins of his heart, the total antithesis of his beloved's angelic demeanor. He bore the altered form, the beast Chaos that lurked within which waited to slake its unquenchable hunger for blood, stoically. This was his punishment for failing her...

Now don't hang on
Nothing lasts forever
But the Earth and Sky.

She was gone, absorbed back into the Lifestream. He held that knowledge in his heart as the slim thread of redemption. Vincent clung to it fiercely, wishing fondly that he'd be forgiven if only he suffered enough.

When they slip away
And all your money
Won't another minute buy.

Secretly, he thought that if he allowed himself to give up his penance, if he allowed himself to enjoy life and love again, it would be in defiance of her memory...that by moving on, he'd somehow forget her. It for these fears that he helped to destroy Hojo - offered to stop the mad plans of the fruit of his experiments - threw himself selflessly into every battle with no thought of his own safety.

Dust in the wind
All we are is
Dust in the wind.

Penance. Redemption. Rememberence.

Dust in the wind
Everything is
Dust in the wind.

Vincent slipped the photograph back into his shirt pocket, laying the oft held portrait of his only love close to his heart. "Someday, Lucrecia..." he murmured to the night sky. "Someday, I will be worthy of you again..."

In the wind...

Final Fantasy VII and all characters thereof are the property of Squaresoft.



 
Others by this author
Others about this game