Vanquished Deception

[01.23.01] » by ScaRR

Inspiration strikes at the strangest of moments -

English Composition Assingment #1
Class B Question 5: Have you ever been lost? Write a story around 1500 words illustrating what happened and how it felt.
 

A perceptual conflict to conquer, a denial to overcome.
And in the midst of utter loss…
A promise to keep.

vanquished deception
by ScaRR

 "But what she sees are my faults and indecision
My insecure conditions
And the tears upon the pillow that I shed"
~ Blessed Union of the Soul
 

I do not want to admit it.

I am running away from the truth, from my feared conviction - the abysmal oblivion that engulfs my barren contradictions like a monstrous leech.

I am grasping at denial, denial so blatant it pricks at my tormented soul like a hundred venomous thorns. I am clenching forcefully on such obtrusive disgrace it mortifies the shadows that fade even from my heels.

Run, run like the wind-

-stealth is imperative-

I flee undeviatingly, unconcerned with dubious questioning.

-what are you running from-

-where are you going-

Or maybe I refuse to answer to my own consternation.

It swells around me like a murky nebula, enveloping the duskiness with a darker veil of gloom. Evasion is impossible, and resistance is futile. With a desperate resignation, I shut my eyes and relent the foreboding wisps of delusion to conquer my weakened certitude, consume my stammering disheartenment…

I relent it to prevail my desolate consciousness.

______________________________________________________________________

I am disconcerted, entrapped in a self-dispute that rages within my mind. I had allowed it to overtake me, and the sentence is executed, the penalization paid in full price-

-I am declared lost.

Find your way out.

But out of where? Unearthing the doorway to sanity is a trial by itself.

Search the reason.

Search what?

Search your reason.

I have no explanation, and of that, I feel a stab of guilt. But why am I guilty? I forbid myself from further quandary. But my will succumbs to perturbation, and I permit myself the inquiry
of why I am lost.

Because you are in denial.

Shut up. Shut up, I want to retort. Go away, and leave me alone. Leave me with the shadows.

The shadows mock me.

I do not care. I ignore their brazen derision, it is easier to face than my conscience. I am sinking, slowly but surely I am. I am sinking into the swallowing currents of lost sanctuary.

I do not care.

______________________________________________________________________

"Come this spring... I'm leaving this town for Midgar." His cerulean eyes gleamed with impassioned longing. This was the moment he had been yearning for, he desired to tell he his determined resolve.

She would be so happy.

"…All boys are leaving our town." A distinct melancholy overtook her radiant eyes.

His heart staggered precariously. Wasn't she pleased for him?

"But I'm different from all of them. I'm not just going to find a job. I want to join SOLDIER." He insisted with a resolute persistence. If only she knew how much he wanted to ascertain his worthiness for her.

"I'm going to be the best there is, just like Sephiroth."

"Sephiroth.... The Great Sephiroth." How could she make him understand that he didn't need to prove himself to be her friend? "Isn't it hard to join SOLDIER?"

"...I probably wont be able to come back to this town for a while."

She felt like crying, but desisted. She knew she would miss him more than he would ever know.

"Will you be in the newspapers if you do well?"

"I'll try."

He would try anything. He would try anything if it was for her.

"Hey, why don't we make a promise?"

Such an innocent request, he did not have the heart to deny.

"Umm, if you get really famous and I'm ever in a bind… you'll come save me, all right?"

"What?"

"Whenever I'm in trouble, my hero will come and rescue me. I want to experience that at least once. Come on! Promise me!"

".... I promise." He was so childishly driven by puerile aspirations, but more than that he was blinded by his desire to please her.

She was so beautiful even her tears serve only to flaunt the loveliness of her eyes. "I'll miss you, Cloud."

"Me too. But just wait and see, I'll come back for you!" A boyish smile lit his ecstatic face as a brilliant shooting star above them sealed their pact.

I promise.

______________________________________________________________________

The darkness is closer. I cower in contrition as it tramples contemptuously upon my haunted reflections.

I beseech it to tread gently.

It does not listen.

______________________________________________________________________

Eleven years old then, he knew the meaning of hope. Later on it gradually diminished from his heart like a forgotten attribution of his miserable childhood.

"Hey Runt, report to the headquarters immediately."

They always called him Runt. He hated it.

He never knew a time when he was not anxious to impress her. Leaving his hometown, Nibelheim, was a resolute intention he yearned for and never regretted. Thus he set off for Midgar
to join its prestigious military forces.

To join the Shinra.

I'm going to be the best there is, just like Sephiroth.

The war raged ferociously against some distant province called Wutai, but that was not important. What was important was that he was doing all this for her.

Umm, if you get really famous and I'm ever in a bind… you'll come save me, all right?

It was important, because she meant more than anything to him. Because all throughout his forsaken childhood, he was ostracized for being the weaker individual, and she was compassionate to him. She was popular, she was everyone's darling, she was everyone's favourite.

He was the runt. He was always the runt.

His destitute adolescence provided only a single consolation - her. She was willing to accept him despite his inferiority in comparison to the other children.

Sometimes he wondered why.

"Cloud Danvon Strife, Enlistee 067?"

"Yes, Sir."

He saluted so robustly she would have been proud of him. He had been waiting for this moment all his life. He was brimming with ardent anticipation, he wondered what rank did he make after all those years of training.

______________________________________________________________________

He did not make it.

He did not even make it to SOLDIER, much less the transcript of General Sephiroth, whom every zealous young warrior deemed their hero.

"So, Runt, you can still stay, ya know. Like, some guard on duty or something."

Of course there was no returning to Nibelheim, he was a failure, and it was foolish assumption to consider himself well received on arrival. Briefly he contemplated on how he was going
to face her.

Then he decided not to.

"I accept."

______________________________________________________________________

Condemnation reproaches my heart, already hemmed with disconsolation.

I am a failure, and that is the truth.

I am a failure-

-You lie.

Acrid bitterness courses through me, and I utter with a virulence never perceived before in my pathetic existence.

I admit it. Are you satisfied now? I admit letting her down. I admit I am demeaning, pitifully ineffectual, and I do not deserve her tenderness, nor anyone's endearment.

You lie.

It resounds so softly, yet berates so savagely.

______________________________________________________________________

Fate was brutal.

Wutai allied with none other than Nibeheim in a desperate resort. The conclusion was so apparent it stung.

He didn't need the newspapers to know of Sephiroth's unprecedented performance in the bloodthirsty rampage of his hometown, for he was there to witness the wretched massacre.

More precisely, he was there to do his job.

Stand guard. Seal the town. Block all escape routes. Make sure no one survives.

Plunder.

Slaughter.

Slay.

But when he saw Sephiroth's majestic sword plunge unmercifully and slash across her, he almost felt the ripping torture himself.

He saw her misted scarlet eyes fly open in incredulous anguish, he saw her paling lips mouth a silent plea. A plea she thought unheard.

He heard.

And a courage, a momentary surge of fearlessness gripped his heart so fiercely he could not believe himself wielding his sword and advancing towards his postulated hero. With a sorrow-filled war cry, the two men engaged in an unanticipated battle.

Forged in the perilous combat, he suddenly faltered. What was he doing? Why was he betraying his own general?

How could he expect to win?

He was losing his mind and his sense of rational composure. He was so lost.

General Sephiroth is cruel.

War was cruel. Innocent civilians were a unfortunate but necessary sacrifice.

Were they?

You'll come save me, all right?

The irony smarted. He could not even make his mark as a soldier, let alone defeat the mighty Sephiroth. How could anyone expect a useless runt to keep his promise?

His wavering was a deadly mistake.

The blood-tinged sword sliced down harshly, and he felt himself dying almost instantaneously.

______________________________________________________________________

I am writhing in rentless agony. I know that she has implored for her hero to save her.

But it is impossible.

No it is not.

I am not strong enough. I have accepted the fact that I am lost in it.

I am lost in my inferior complex, but I will not find my way out, because I know I cannot.

You can.

Suddenly, comprehension creeps within me as I try to defeat my own precarious uncertainties. I feel an abrupt cognizance as once-abandoned hope flourishes my soul.

Will you promise to come for me when I need you?

Yes. Yes, I will.

Jolting out of my reverie, I see Sephiroth's blade strike downwards for a killing termination. I will deprive him of that satisfaction.

With an unexpected alacrity, I thrust my sword deep into him before he even realizes his own defeat.

Time crashes to a standstill as he utters a silent bellow and slumps to his death.

I have won.

I clamber towards her, apprehension clouding my vision. She has survived the encounter, but barely. With an immense exertion, I reach out to stroke her ravishing dark locks
affectionately.

"Tifa…"

She arouses and gasps in surprise, tears of inconceivable happiness flooding her cheeks.

"Cloud… You came…"

"I….I had to keep our promise." I was lost, indubitably. Indeed I was confounded by my own indecision and deceived by self- denunciation, but I had found my way out. For myself, and
for her.

She heaved. "I knew you would come." A laboured smile tugged at her lips. "My hero would come for me."

"I am not a-" I paused. Why the need to deny my once-shattered conviction? I was a hero to her, and that was enough. Yet my heart splintered at her incontestable faith. "Why, Tifa?
Why didn't you hate me? Why couldn't you see what a foolish underdog I was all along?"

She curled her fingers into mine. "Because… I never doubted you, Cloud. I…I always believed… you could make it. And I believe that despite your fallen confidence…I believed that you would...find your way out."

I grasped her hand tightly, overjoyed that I had kept my promise. I had come for her, and I had proved my worth.

"I believe it too, Tifa. I believe it now."

And most of all, I knew I had found myself.
 


She don't care about my car
She don't care about my money
And that's real good cause I don't got alot to spend
But if I did it wouldn't mean nothing

She likes me for me
But what she sees
Are my faults and indecision
My insecure conditions
And the tears upon the pillow that I shed

And she don't care that I can fly her
To places she has never been
But if she really wants to go I think deep down she knows that
All she has to say is when

She likes me for me
She's the one for me
And I just can't live without her
My arms belong around her
And I'm so glad I found her once again
I'm so glad I found her once again

Gazing at the ceiling as we entertain our feelings in the dark
The things that we're afraid of are gonna show us what we're made of in the end
She likes me for me
I like her for her
She has got so much to offer
Why does she waste all her time with me
There must be something there that I don't see

She likes me for me
But what she sees
Is that I can't live without her
My arms belong around her
And I'm so glad I found her once again

I'm so glad I found her once again

Concluded Jan2001____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Leonardo copyright of Blessed Union of the Soul. The lyrics have been slightly modified to adhere to the fanfic. I know the Sephiroth-concept was inaccurate, but I was instructed a word limit, and that deprived me a chance of elaborating on how he turned psychopathic. Readers should also detect a certain exclusion of expletive language this time, but hell, it's schoolwork. And by the way, Cloud and Tifa's earlier conversation (regarding their promise) was directly lifted and altered from the original FFVII game script.
 

 
Others by this author
Others about this game