A Long Way Away

[07.06.00] » by David Schwager

Clash strike parry dodge slice cut slash slash slash.

The monster fell to the ground, mortally wounded.  It gave one last groan, and died.  It then flickered out of existence, as the holo-projector deleted the image to get ready for the next monster it would create.  It wasn't as satisfying as fighting real monsters, but it was enough for Dias.

Then the next monster appeared, and Dias rushed to attack.

Cut dodge strike parry parry slash slash parry strike dodge parry dodge cut slash cut strike thrust.

Blood ran down Dias from a dozen places.  He took the break to rub a salve into his skin.  It helped some, but the pain was still great.  He wouldn't have it any other way.

Strike dodge parry thrust dodge cut slash parry slash parry parry dodge thrust slash cut slash.

Dias always thought about Cecille when he fought.  It helped him remember why he fought.  He needed to get stronger, strong enough to defeat anyone who might threaten his other little sister.  And he deserved the pain.

The monsters came, over and over, and Dias defeated them all.  He had done it many times before, but that never stopped him from doing it again.  This was Fun City, and this was what he did for fun.  He was about to start once more, but Rena found him.

"Dias, are you ok?  Here, let me help you."  Concern was written plainly on her face as she cast the heal spell on him.  That was her; she cared for everyone. 

"Don't worry, Rena, I'm fine.  Are we leaving?"  He wondered what she would think of him if she knew the truth.  She would probably hate him.  But then again, she might forgive him.  He was not sure which would be worse.  Having to leave her, or trying to pretend things hadn't changed while being reminded what he had done every time she looked at him.

"Yes.  You're the last one.  I guess we should've known you'd be here."  Did he love her?  He wasn't sure.  He did know he would do anything to protect her.  He would even sell his soul, although he wasn't sure he still had one left.  

"Well then, lets get going.  We have a lot of work to do."  He hoped once again that she didn't know what he had done to the ones who had killed Cecille.  They had taken a long time to die.  He still had nightmares about their screams.

"You don't have to push yourself so hard, Dias.  I hope you're not still torturing yourself over what happened to Cecille."

Dias almost winced at her choice of words.  A though involuntarily popped into his head.  I'm not torturing myself, Rena.  I'm torturing others.  "No.  Of course not."

The lie must have been clear, because she stopped and looked at him.  "Dias, there was nothing you could have done.  I'm sure Cecille forgives you."

You're wrong, Rena.  There was something I could have done, and I did it.  I would do it again in a second, and that is why I'm damned.

"You might presume to speak for the dead, Rena.  But I couldn't hear her.  Heaven is a long way away."

And then, in a whisper too low for her to hear, "Especially for me."

 
Others by this author
Others about this game