Reunion At Greenhill

[06.04.00] » by Elyse Crawford

Note: My hero's name is Hiro, my army is the Hope Army, and my castle is Kannith Castle. J  This is just a short vingette. I found this part really sad....

It felt like we had been running forever. My feet were killing me, but I wasn't about to complain. Nope, a warrior never complains, not even when her feet are about to fall off. Are we really doing the right thing? There must be another way…. I sighed. We hadn't seen Lucia in a while. Maybe we lost her?

"Nanami! C'mon!" Shouted my brother, "we can't let them catch us, just because a slow poke like you, is with us…" He snickered lightly.

"Hiro!" I ran up and playfully punched him in the shoulder, and smiled, "You're the slow poke!" I said as I bolted ahead of him, past Flik. He just rolled his eyes.

"Hey-!" I heard Hiro cry, but he came to find me shocked.

It was him. Standing there so solemnly, in his new highland clothes. Just staring at me, about 20 feet ahead.

"Joey…?" I stammered, "I knew you'd come back to us!!! I always did!!" I started to run toward him, but he made no move to welcome me, nor did he break his stoic expression.

"J-Joey…?" I said quietly. "Wha? B-but-! I don't understand!!"

By this time all the others had caught up to me. Hiro and Jowy stood face to face, with me by Hiro's side.

"Hiro…." Joey started, empathically.

"Please!" I said sullenly. "Please! Joey, come back with us!!!! Come back to Kannith Castle! W…We can be together again! An…A-and after the war is over….We can go back to Kyaro! We can be together…!!"

"No, Nanami…" He replied looking me in the eyes. "It can never be like that again…"

"You're wrong!!!" I shouted, as bitter tears rolled down my cheeks. "I-I-it can be like that!!! I know it will!!"

He just looked away, I could see the tears in his eyes, which refused to fall. What IS it that he cannot see?? We don't need to fight, ever!

….Or maybe…it's what I cannot see…

He held up his right hand, and so did my brother. Their rune symbols appeared over their heads. Dangling in the air like plague. And that's exactly what it was.

"Ever since we got these runes on our hands….Hiro and I have been destined to fight… Forever…"

I saw a glint of pain in his eyes as he spoke. The same was in Hiro's eyes. Sad, and regretful. Why were they so upset?? I mean, it was all garbage!!! No one HAS to do anything!!

"NO!!!" I yelled desperately, "It's not true!!!"

I closed my eyes as more tears came. More that refused to accept the truth.

"I-if destiny is the reason we have to go to war…if destiny is why Hiro and Joey have to fight…T-then…" I became angry, "I…I hate destiny!! You don't have to fight!!!! Please Joey!! I choked out between sobs. "Please, don't fight any more!"

But I should have known I couldn't stop them.

"I-I'm sorry…Nanami…" Joey said sadly.

I still kept my eyes tightly closed. Lies! Everything! Why couldn't it be like it was?? WHY!!

"Come on, Nanami," I heard Flik say, "we need to go before the Highlanders find us…"

"No!! I won't go without Joey!!! He belongs with us…with ME!!" I didn't care anymore. All I wanted was Joey

with us again. Can't he see how much I….love him?

"Please, Joey," I pleaded, "Please….I-…."

He looked up at me. He looked so small, and helpless. Like a puppet on the end of strings. I saw a single tear run down his face, as he turned his back to us. It was too much for me. I-I….

"Nanami?" Came my brother's voice. "…Let's go."

"No…." I said futilely, and started to walking away slowly. He just stood there, all alone. I wanted sooo bad just to run up and hug him, but knowing I could never let go, I didn't. One final tear ran down my face.

"Goodbye….Joey." I said.

*****FIN*****

 
Others by this author
Others about this game