Then I Saw Him

[04.19.00] » by Frantic Aardvark

When I first got there, I was amazed to see so many people all gathered in one place. I guess I just wasn’t used to populated places anymore. I’d been away from Deling for so long. Headmaster Cid was gentlemanly enough to invite a foreigner like myself to a gallant party like this. I only settled down when the music began to play. It was a familiar melody. So fragrant and clear. So close to my heart I could almost touch it. To hear it rejuvenated and refreshed me. It felt as though I had new spirit. People were soon getting together, asking each other for a light dance.

I was positive nobody was going to ask me to be his dance partner. After all, I didn’t know anyone there. I looked and watched as many pairs and couples walked onto the ball room floor and begin to dance marvelously. I longed to join in, but I could only watch as the dancers moved and twirled in one swift motion. I never had the power to be alone in the darkness of everything. Then, I saw him. He was standing in the corner, by the balcony door. Underneath the stars. I couldn’t see anybody with him.

Hoping that maybe he could stand a little company, I started to walk his way. I stopped and watched and a shooting star passed on the clearness of the sky. He noticed me as I pointed upwards, towards the night. He shifted his head slightly as if he didn’t understand. I shrugged a little and walked up to him. I tried to converse, but he was a reluctant sort of guy. Maybe a bit lonely.

"You’ve got to be the best looking guy here. Dance with me?"

"…" He hadn’t anything to say.

"Let me guess. You’ll only dance with someone you like… Okay then. Look into my eyes," I smiled, "You’re-going-to-like-me, you’re-going-to-like-me. Did it work?"

He shook his head, "I can’t dance."

"You’ll be fine," I said confidently, "Come on."

I managed to pull him onto the dance floor. I took hold of his hand and put it on my waist, put my hand on his shoulder, and clasped my right hand is his. I started to use the dance steps I’d learned back at home, when I was younger. But the blue-eyed SeeD cadet couldn’t keep up with me. After only a few moments I ended up tripping and bumping into him. I guess he got fed up, because he started to leave, but I grabbed his hand and pulled him back. I assumed the position again and I started to try a dance a bit slower. But his jerky sorts of movements were not too good.

As we moved across the dance floor, we accidentally bumped into another dance couple. A bit frustrated I made a face, only to see the SeeD staring down at me, eyebrow raised. I smiled broadly. After a little while, he started to catch on. Very quickly in fact. I couldn’t believe how fast he’d made progress. Soon we were dancing just as well, if not better, than the other pairs on the floor. The night looked darker as the dance floor lights dimmed out for the fire works. The room was soon lit up with blasts of spiraling and shooting assortment of colours.

The SeeD’s face was clearly seen as I watched him with pleasure. He looked at me, at smiled for the first time I’d seen him. But I’d spotted a very close friend of mine in the darkness of the ballroom. Feeling a bit low down, I reluctantly left the young SeeD cadet on the dance floor, alone. I could almost feel him watch me leave him behind. But I, Rinoa Heartilly, had no idea I would meet the SeeD cadet again, and that he would dramatically change my life forever.



 
Others by this author
Others about this game